- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 batch thin-crust pizza dough (see related recipe at left)
- 1/3 cup (3 1/2 oz./105 g) fig preserves
- 2 oz. (60 g) prosciutto, roughly torn into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 3/4 cup (3 1/2 oz./105 g) crumbled ricotta Salata cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- In a nonstick fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, 18 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough into a 10-inch (25-cm) round.
- Spread half of the fig preserves over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch (12-mm) border uncovered. Top with half each of the caramelized onions, prosciutto and cheese.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C). Add the dough with toppings and bake on the pizza stone for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Makes two 10-inch (25-cm) pizzas.